- Friday, 25 October 2013 14:43
Flagstone is generally thought of as a flooring option for outdoor spaces. But have you considered using it indoors? Natural stone is an ideal option for indoor flooring thanks to its durability, ease of maintenance and the variety of options available.
Natural stone of any sort is a very durable surface and flagstone is no exception making it ideal for withstanding the daily grind a home’s floor endures. Flagstone is also quite easy to maintain while being environmentally friendly. Maintaining stone flooring is as simple as keeping it swept and dusted. Periodically you may need to mop these surfaces, which can be done using water and mild soap.
When choosing flagstone flooring for a home or business, it’s important to remember that there is no cookie cutter look to natural stone. Natural stone comes in a variety of colors and patterns and each installation has it’s own distinct look that can be customized to suit your home’s décor. The differences in natural stone variations allow a home or business owner to be secure in knowing the look of the install will not be repeated in other homes, helping increase property value.
The addition of natural stone flooring can add a sense of elegance and sophistication to a room. If your room is connected to an outdoor patio, consider using the same stone both indoors and out, giving the illusion of a larger space and bringing the outdoors, inside.
These are just a few of the benefits that come with installing natural stone flooring. With a large variety of product offerings including an exclusive product, Brentwood, Semco can help you find the perfect stone to use for your home’s flooring.
Natural Stone Fireplaces
- Friday, 11 October 2013 19:35
There’s nothing better than curling up by the fire on a chilly, fall night. Fireplaces add warmth and ambience, making spaces in your home, such as the living room, the ideal place for entertaining and hanging out with your family. By combining the elegance of a fireplace with the beauty of natural stone, you can turn any home’s living space from so-so to so sophisticated.
Aesthetically speaking, a fireplace can make an excellent focal point for most any room by adding texture, scale and color to the room. Whether you want to complement your existing décor or develop the room’s look around the fireplace, the variety of stone offered by Semco makes it easy to find a finish that will suit you and your family’s taste.
In addition to being visually pleasing, natural stone fireplaces are also extremely durable and low maintenance. The sturdiness of the stone allows it to withstand the high temperatures that come with housing a fire and its durability insures the stone will last for a number of years. Natural stone is also very easy to clean needing only warm water and a rag to wipe away dust, grime and dirt.
If you’re not quite ready to commit to natural stone or already have a fireplace made of another stone, there is always the option of installing natural stone thin veneer. Not as heavy or expensive as regular natural stone, thin veneer allows you to add the look of natural stone to your home without the cost or commitment. Check out our previous blog for tips and our “how-to” section for a video on the process.
Natural stone fireplaces can enhance any home’s style while adding warmth and elegance to your space. Whether your home is modern and trendy or classy and elegant, Semco has a stone that will work for you.
Natural Stone in the kitchen
- Thursday, 26 September 2013 06:34
Although fall just arrived, it won’t be long before we’re talking about preparing for the holidays. Whether you entertain large groups or just do small family gatherings, most kitchen areas tend to get a lot of use during the holiday season. Why not upgrade your kitchen this year with the addition of natural stone?
Natural stone can be used in a variety of ways in a kitchen. From an accent wall around the stove like this install using Rustic Cedar Tumbled Dimensional stone available from Semco to countertops, natural stone brings an air of sophistication and elegance to any home. In addition to being visually pleasing, natural stone is also known for their durability and ease of maintenance making it the perfect addition to your kitchen.
When it comes to durability, natural stone is great for use in the kitchen because it is unaffected by most heat. We don’t recommend sitting pans straight off the stove onto your countertops, but natural stone can withstand more heat than other common artificial surfaces, like laminate. Another testament to the durability of natural stone is its ability to be repaired. Most natural stones last for years, but accidents do happen. If you chip or damage your countertop, a professional can repair it fairly easily.
The addition of natural stone also adds a sense of character and charm. Being a natural it comes in many different shades and variations. This variety and uniqueness means that Semco has a stone that will complement any home as well as ensure your neighbor will not have the exact same kitchen.
If you’re like a lot of people and love to cook but hate the clean up, then natural stone is for you. Natural stone is very low maintenance and most stains can be cleaned up using just a soap and water mixture, instead of chemicals, so you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals being used in your home.
If you are interested in adding stone to your kitchen, Semco has a variety of stone options that are sure to complement any home. Let Semco help make your kitchen a place to be proud of with natural stone.
Enjoying Labor Day Weekend Outdoors
- Thursday, 29 August 2013 06:46
Ah, Labor Day. The unofficial end of summer and a long weekend for many. If you’re one of the lucky ones to enjoy a three-day weekend, why not utilize your outdoor space and spend the weekend in the comfort of your own home? Whether you decide to have a large gathering or just a few friends and family, here are a few tips for making the most of the long weekend.
1. Dine outdoors. Enjoy your outdoor space while the days are still long by planning an outdoor meal. Keep things simple by doing your entire meal on the grill. From a juicy steak to veggies on the side to grilled peaches for dessert, you can easily plan a menu that will satisfy the pickiest of eaters.
2. Set the mood with lighting. Hopefully you and your guests will be having such a good time the party will still be going on when the sun goes down. If so, you’ll want to have lighting to set the mood and create an ambience. To create a warm peaceful glow you can place lanterns and tabletop candles strategically around your space. Want to add something a little more permanent to your yard? If so, a fire pit or fireplace is a great addition to any space. It not only provides light but also warmth and a central gathering place for your guests.
3. Enjoy the sounds of nature. The sound of water is one of the most peaceful and relaxing sounds. To add this sound to your outdoor space year round consider the addition of a water feature from Semco. From elaborate waterfalls to bubbler boulders, Semco has the perfect water feature for your home to suit the size of your space.
4. Make your space comfortable and practical. Have you ever gone to a party or get together that was beautifully decorated and catered but there wasn’t enough seating for everyone? Keep this from happening at your party by making sure to have plenty of seating. Whether you use chairs, cushions or benches, like this Brentwood Bench, make sure there’s plenty of seating for everyone and that it is comfortable to ensure your guests will want to visit longer.
5. Stay safe. Most importantly when entertaining or spending time outdoors, make sure you are providing a safe atmosphere for you and your guests. Keep your grill away from structures or high traffic areas, never leave fires unattended and always have plenty of cold, non-alcoholic drinks on hand for your guests to prevent dehydration.
With a little planning and a little preparation you and your guests can enjoy a relaxing long Labor Day weekend in the comfort of your own home.
The Soothing Sounds of a Water Feature
- Friday, 23 August 2013 06:51
Are you looking for a way to add peace and tranquility to an outdoor space? Maybe you just want to give your existing landscaping a little extra oomph. If so, why not consider the addition of a water feature using natural stone?
Whenever water and outdoors are mentioned, the initial thought is a swimming pool. But there are so many ways to add the peaceful sounds of splashing water to your backyard. Whether you want a water fountain or a waterfall, there are many benefits to installing a water feature in your outdoor space. In addition to be aesthetically pleasing and creating dimension to any landscaping plan, a water feature also creates a soothing soundtrack to outdoor entertaining.
Depending on the size of your space, many different types of water features are available. If you’re looking for something grand, consider installing a cascade waterfall like this one using Holey Limestone Boulders. Maybe you have a smaller space or don’t want to make such a large commitment. No problem, you can always do something more simple like this feature using Weathered Limestone Ledge.
No matter what size space you have or what type of feature you choose, the most important thing to remember when installing a water feature is to use a stone that complements your landscaping and your existing outdoor space. Ideally you want all aspects of your landscaping from stone to plants to mulch to blend together seamlessly. Semco offers a wide variety of natural stone boulders to help you create the perfect water feature for your existing outdoor space.